Installing Perl modules with "perl -MCPAN -e shell;" fails with "02packages.details.txt.gz does not contain a Line-Count header"

Jason Pearce jason.pearce@ieee.org
Mon Feb 28 08:14:00 GMT 2005

>Stephan,
>
>I don't recall -- did you attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" at some
>point (if so, just point to it in the archives, no need to repost)?  My
>guess is that this may be a textmode vs. binmode issue.  Try making your
>home directory a binmode mount, or setting PERLIO=crlf and see if that
>helps with CPAN.
>	Igor

Actually I think this advice is the wrong way around. Before running
CPAN, I think you should unset PERLIO if you otherwise have it set. I
set PERLIO=crlf by default because my perl scripts heavily interact with
DOS programs. If I run CPAN directly I have problems. But CPAN works
fine once I unset PERLIO
I run it like this:

 >unset PERLIO; perl -MCAPN ....

FYI - my home directory is a binmode mount.

Regards,
Jason