Recovering after updating while cygwin was running

Ido Trivizki ido@hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 04:59:00 GMT 2006

I'm running windows XP. I accidently updated something (and probably
cygwin1.dll too, I only tried to install another package..) while cygwin
bash was running. Afterwards I couldn't run any cygwin application. I
removed cygwin folder, registry keys, and any copy of cygwin1.dll I had on
the hard drive, and reinstalled from scratch. And still, every app I try to
run gives me something like:
"      7 [main] ? (3556) C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - system
shared
memory version mismatch detected - 0x75BE0074/0x75BE0096.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin
DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL."

I repeated it several times with rebooting, and still I can't run anything.
(Including cygcheck, pardon.)

Could you please help me?
Thanks,
Ido